NEXT TO NONE | LIVE PERFORMANCE
Saturday 6th Nov | 5pm -6pm
€0 – €14
Audience Capacity: 20 persons
We are delighted to present a live performance of the artists’ sound piece. This work journeys through eight different emotions unfortunately all too common to renters in Ireland.
Next to None is a multimedia installation exploring the precarity and emotional experience of renting in Dublin. Drawing on her experiences over the past 8 years, Maria uses sound, sculpture and photography to capture quieter moments of frustration, stress and anger living in poorly maintained apartments, and daydreams of a future out of reach.
The stage for this work is a full scale floor map of the ‘cheapest’ apartment currently available to buy in Dublin. An apartment not fit for purpose, without a bedroom that will inevitably be purchased by a landlord and released onto the rental market. The work is performed on its unstable walls and a spoken text echoes through the gallery in Danish.
Maria Maarbjerg is a visual artist based in Dublin primarily working with analogue photography. Her work explores national identity and the emotional impact of living through Ireland’s housing crisis.
Maria studied photography at Fatamorgana – the Danish School of Art Photography in Copenhagen and graduated in Fine Art from Dublin School of Creative Arts at Technological University Dublin in 2020. Following, she received the R.C. Lewis-Crosby RDS Award 2020, and the Digital Media Graduate Award from Fire Station Artists’ Studios, 2020.
Maria is the recipient of our We Only Want the Earth Residency Award in partnership with Fire Station Artists Studios and Migrants & Ethnic-Minorities for Reproductive Justice (MERJ). We Only Want the Earth is kindly supported by The Arts Council of Ireland’s Art Grant Funding 2021.
Social distancing measures and your safety:
1. This event will be seated and social distancing measures in place.
2. On arrival to the gallery we will ask you to sanitize your hands and wear a mask indoors.
3. We will confirm your contact information for contract tracing purposes. This will be deleted after 30 days.
4. Prior the performance commencing you will be invited to view the exhibition and/or have a drink in our yard, which has seating and cover.
5. For the duration of the performance you will be asked to wear your mask. Drinks cannot be consumed in doors.
6. Following the performance you will be invited to have a drink in our yard again.
Book your gallery visit: https://a4sounds.org/shop/next-to-none-gallery-visits/
Digitally visit the exhibition here:
There are no reviews yet.