SPECIAL PERFORMANCE | LIVE SCORED SCREENING OF AKUMA
€8 – €28
Audience Capacity: 20 persons
Distances Make Paths Between Them is a ‘Spin Off’ from Aifric’s graduate film work AKUMA. We are delighted to be able to present a Live Scored Screening of this work in the gallery on Saturday 25th September. Aifric will be joined on the night by collaborators Dougie Sealy, Síofra Nolan and Daniel Kearns
AKUMA follows a young artist and her daemon as they prepare to take part in a space mission. The film utilises cinematic and artistic tropes to discuss broader concerns related to the role of contemporary arts practice in society and the role of relationships and narratives in our agency.
Light acts as the most fundamental device to form this work, both materially and ideologically, as the viewer follows Akuma’s trajectory towards spaceflight. By warping familiar imagery and archetypal narratives, this work explores the concept of a supposed linear progress of evolution and the disparate knowledges within. The video enacts various fascinations towards and dependencies on light, including the idea of ascension, projection, illumination and growth. These facets of evolution have been instrumental in humans’ plans to colonise other planets and the western phenomenon of progress under individualism. AKUMA’s story reveals the fallibility and inter-reliance involved in any journey on Earth and beyond.
About the Artist
Aifric Prior Beliere is a recent graduate of Fine Art from TUDublin. She utilises a multi-disciplinary practice to explore themes related to socio-technological relationships and the impact this has on world-making. Recent exhibitions include Corona Concept Gallery ‘Place Holding Space’ 2020 curated by Jobst Graeve and TU Dublin Graduate Exhibition 2021. She was recently awarded the Fire Station Graduate Residency Award.
Aifric is the recipient of our We Only Want the Earth TU Dublin Graduate Award 2021.
Social Distancing & Your Safety
1. This event will be seated and social distancing measures in place.
2. On arrival to the gallery we will ask you to sanitize your hands and wear a mask indoors.
3. We will confirm your contact information for contract tracing purposes. This will be deleted after 30 days.
4. Prior the gig commencing you will be invited to view the exhibition and/or have a drink in our yard, which has seating and cover.
5. For the duration of the performance you will be asked to wear your mask. Drinks cannot be consumed in doors.
6. Following the performance you will be invited to have a drink in our yard again.
Book your gallery visit:https://a4sounds.org/shop/distances-make-paths-between-them-_gallery-visits/
Digitally visit the exhibition here: https://a4sounds.org/distances-make-paths-between-them/