A4 Artist in Residence Programme
A4’s mission is to transform the means by which cultural works are produced, accessed, and understood in Ireland, and by doing so to contribute to the development of a more just society. We want to Make Art That Matters.
The A4 Arts Studio is home to over 60 artists working in a wide range of disciplines including; Fine Art, Design, Research, Education, Animation, Electronics, Performance and Writing. We have designed our studio as a shared workspace with a focus on providing a wide range of facilities, including screen-printing, electronics area, workshop and darkroom. The open plan and shared nature of the studio facilitates engagement, collaboration and informal skill sharing between members. Alongside this we also programme workshops and courses throughout the year, pulling in the wide range of skills under our roof.
About the Residency
The A4 residency programme was established to offer selected artists the time, space, and facilities needed to develop their professional practice in a supportive environment, while furthering the mission of our studio through projects that focus on social and political issues relevant to Dorset Street and surrounding area.
Three residencies are available throughout the year. We are currently taking applications for residencies 2 & 3:
- Residency 1 : 1st January – 31st March 2016 (Artist: Darragh Wilkins)
- Residency 2 : 1st May – 31st July 2016 (3 months)
- Residency 3 : 1st Sept – 30th November 2016 (3 months)
A4 will select artists that we feel will benefit from the facilities we offer at our studio and who are also in line with our overall mission as an organisation.
Applications will be accepted from artists working in the following disciplines: Social Practice, Social Justice, Social Intervention, Socially Engaged, Dialogical, Participatory, Critical Thinking & Research, Activist, Political, Relational, Community, Collaborative Art or New Genre Public Art.
Applicants should submit:
- Selected Discipline(s)
- Preferred residency*
- An outline of the work they will undertake at the studio (max 500 words)
- Artist Statement
- Link to website or pdf of portfolio to date**
*If you can only participate on one residency please state e.g residency 2 only. If you don’t mind which please state don’t mind on your application. We will do our best to facilitate preferred times, if we cannot we will get in touch with you via email.
**For video or sound submissions, please submit links to SoundCloud, Vimeo, YouTube etc only.
A shortlist of applications will be created based on previous experience and proposed idea. Those selected will be invited for interview.
Aims & Expectations of the Residency
What A4 expects from artists:
- To be available to work from the studio at least 3 days per week for the duration of the residency
- To engage with studio members, local community, local history or local areas surrounding the studio & gallery
- To disseminate their work in at least 2 ways. Examples of this could be:
- Exhibition in the A4 Gallery
- Artist Talk
- Article or Podcast
- Interview or documentary video
- Curating an event
- The artist should document their progress and make the documentation available to A4 for use
What the artist should expect:
- To be provided with 24/7 access to the studio including shared workspaces, facilities and equipment
- Where appropriate be given their own personal workspace to work
- To be given suitable storage for works and project material (exceptions may be made for very large pieces due to space restrictions of the studio)
- Training and support where needed on available equipment and facilities
- Ongoing support throughout the residency
- Access to gallery space or other areas for dissemination of work
If resources are available:
Budget or access to materials for dissemination of works, e.g. preparation of gallery space for exhibition of works. To be discussed with artist in advance.
Closing date for applications is Thursday 31st March 2016.
Applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com
For further information about our studio please follow the links below:
The Studio & Facilities